Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network - NETS-T 5

This is my personal Learning plan, which consists of several different networks that I can use a resources for furthering my knowledge in education. 


1. Write a few sentences explaining what your personal learning network is and how it will help you as a classroom teacher.
My personal learning network (PLN) consists of different networking sites that can be found on the internet. These networks are built communities where people with like interests can converse and share information form all over the world. My PLN will help me as a teacher in incorporating the use of technology in the classroom and get new ideas for my lesson plans. I can also work to share my own ideas with others and converse with other educators to make myself an informed and all around better teacher. 
2. Discuss your use of Twitter, including who is in your network and why, and your participation in an educational chat (list the topic discussed and what you learned)
I have used twitter to follow and connect with people who are in the field of education and discuss relevant issues and topics related to education. When I participated in the edchat I choose to follow several people who expressed interesting points that on the topic of whether education was broken or just outdated. While I was not brave enough to post or retweet in the discussion yet, I was able to observe and learn how it works and see how easy it is to participate have a conversation with others. From the actual discussion itself I learned that people have many different ideas on how education is and how it needs to be improved and many believe completely reformed. It was interesting to see what all the teachers had to say, a lot of teachers are not happy with what little money and time is spent on the professional development. Many also expressed the need for more time to collaborate with other teachers to better their ideas and lessons. In the future I will have to get a tweetdeck or something similar to it because the conversation was hard to follow at times with new tweets coming in every few seconds. 
3. Discuss your use of Delicious, your Delicious network, and describe what you tagged "PLN"and why (there should already be a link to your Delicious Tag Roll on your blog)
I absolutely love delicious! It is a helpful way to gather, tag, and keep tabs on multiple websites. It a great way to keep track of research and you can view others research as and follow them if you like their findings. My delicious network will help me keep track of different resources and blogs that I can use in the future for teaching and my own learning. I have flag other people in delicious who bookmark things that I think I can benefit from. I bookmarked a educational news blog and several other web pages that contain helpful information and even more links that will lead me to different blogs and sites. I really liked the math website I found it compiles hundreds of different lesson plans, games, online tools for all grade levels.
4. Discuss which digital discussion forum you joined, add the badge to your blog, and reflect on the blog post, video, or article you explored.
I joined the Educator's PLN discussion forum and watched a video on changing education paradigms. It was interesting as I never gave thought to how education was created during the enlightenment period and during the industrial revolution. The point of the video was that since school was the way we live and do things is vastly different and this old way of education does not fit as well as it did back in the industrial revolution days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment